Let Them Eat Cake… For Breakfast?
According to a new study, adding dessert to your breakfast – cookies, cake or chocolate can help you loose more weight!
- 193 clinically obese, non-diabetic adults participated, and were randomly split into two groups.
- The first group were given a small low carbohydrate, 300 calorie breakfast and the second were given a 600 calorie high protein and carbohydrate breakfast that always included a dessert cake.
- Both groups consumed the same amount of calories per day (men 1600 and women 1400).
RESULTS: The study showed that half way through the 32-week program, both groups had lost the same amount of weight, but by the end of the program the second group of participants who added dessert to their breakfast, lost an average of 18 kilos more than a group that avoided such foods.
18 kilos = Almost 40 pounds
- Your body’s metabolism is at its most active in the morning.
- You are better able to work off the extra calories throughout the day.
- Adding dessert items to breakfast can control cravings throughout the rest of the day.
- Highly restrictive diets that forbid desserts and carbohydrates are initially effective, but often cause dieters to stray from their food plans as a result of withdrawal-like symptoms.
Although chocolate cake for breakfast sound soooo good right now, I just don’t think I could do this! One, I was not planning on consuming that many fatty calories. Two, a nice slice of cake will cost you over a quarter of your allotted calories per day. Three, replacing non-nutrient dense foods such as cake you may be missing out on essential vitamins, minerals, good fats and protein needed for bodily functions and to prevent disease.
- Sorry… just can’t do this one!
- If I’m hungry for desert, I’ll get it and save it till the morning… then eat it. (Because, who wants to go into deserts withdraw?)
- If my metabolism is higher in the morning, maybe I would workout later in the day… hummm
Thanks for reading,